Alternative Measures Program (AMP)

If you are interested in diverting your charges to the Alberta Alternative Measures Program (AMP), you will first need to be admitted to AMP by the Crown Prosecutor. Andre Ouellette, Peter Hoare, Mike C. Gilchrist and Sadaf Raja have helped thousands of clients complete the Alberta Alternative Measures Program and successfully avoid a criminal record.

CALL: 1(587) 355-8889

What is the Adult Alternative Measures Program?

The adult Alternative Measures Program (AMP) is a program that is available to individuals charged with minor offenses in Alberta that either have no criminal record or, on the Crown’s discretion, to those who have fewer than two offenses on their record. The mandate of AMP in Alberta is to permit individuals charged with minor offenses who have minor experience with the criminal justice system, a chance avoid a criminal record in Canada.  If you complete the program successfully, the Crown will withdraw the charges against you (i.e. you will not have a criminal record).

How will I know if I am Eligible for the Alternative Measures Program?

Those suitable for AMP are generally charged with a minor summary conviction offence that did not end up in substantial harm to persons or property. This includes summary conviction offences such as:

  • 334(b): Theft Under $5000
  • 430: Mischief under $5000
  • 266: Assault
  • 380: Fraud
  • 368: Uttering a Forged Document
  • 355: Possession of Stolen Property
  • 335: Taking a Motor Vehicle without Consent
  • 175: Causing a Disturbance

Can I be Diverted to the Alternative Measures Program for a Drug Charge?

Alternative Measure for Drug Offences is a possible outcome, depending on the nature of the offence. For example, if a person is charged with simple marijuana possession (under 30g), it is common to have the charges withdrawn if you provide something back to the community in the form of community service or a charitable donation through the AMP program.

However, this is not always the case and is ultimately up to the Department of Public Prosecutions (the Federal Crown) prosecutor on whether you are eligible for such a program.

For possession of more serious drugs (or at least considered more serious by the prosecutors), such as cocaine, ecstasy, ketamine, heroin and fentanyl, the sanctions increase while the chance of an early withdraw decrease. A lawyer may be able to obtain a withdraw in charges such as these, even if the prosecutor has initially taken a position that you are not eligible.

For More Information on Eligibility please read the Alberta Justice document:

Alberta Adult Alternative Measures Program

Will I Have a Criminal record After I Complete the Alternative Measure Program?

Due to the fact it is not a finding or admission of guilt, alternative measures does not amount to a conviction. Although alternative measures will not show up on most criminal record checks, the fact that you accepted alternative measures may display up on some high-level criminal record checks (such as a government security screening) for the period of 12 months. Note that although you will not have a criminal conviction and thus have no record, a CPIC (police database) query will show your enrollment in the program.

How can Calgary Criminal Lawyers Ouellette Hoare Claxton help me to apply for Alternative Measures?

Before your upcoming court appearance, our lawyers can ask the Judge or Crown to hold the matter over for three weeks to be considered for diversion to AMP. Ouellette Hoare Claxton An Association of Independent Law Practices can assist your admittance into AMP by making the Crown aware of your individual story and the circumstances surrounding the incident. This information will then be attached to your file when you ask to be considered for AMP.

Helpful information will include factors such as your job, your family situation, your extended goals, your education and any additional details surrounding the incident. E.g. was the motivation for the theft to get food to feed your family? Additionally, if the accused accepts responsibility and remorse for what happened; this can be beneficial.

Ultimately, our team is often able to use their combined experience and influence to help eligible individuals enroll in & complete the Alternative Measures Program in Alberta.

What will I have to do to Complete the Adult Alternative Measures Program in Alberta?

The Adult Alternative Measures Agreement may contain a range of conditions specific to your charges and circumstances. These may include, but are not restricted, to the following:

  • personal service to the victim
  • participation in Aboriginal cultural/spiritual activities
  • participation in a victim/offender reconciliation program (VORP)
  • community service work
  • enrollment in counselling
  • an apology to the victim either personally or written;
  • donation to a registered charity;
  • return of property or restitution to the victim

More Information

Alternative Measures Program Calgary Phone Number:

403-297-8444 (Crown Prosecution Office)

Alternative Measures Program Calgary Address:

3838 Manchester Rd SE, Calgary, AB T2G 3Z9 (Calgary Attendance Building)


Drug Charges Icon

Drug Offences

Drug Charges Icon

Weapon & Gun Offences

Drug Charges Icon

Murder Charges

Drug Charges Icon

Sexual Offences

Drug Charges Icon

Domestic Violence

Need Immediate Assistance?

CALL: 1(587) 355-8889